Friday, April 1, 2016

#AtoZchallenge A is for Alcubierre Drive


It's A to Z time again! This year I'm blogging about a variety of science related topics. Hope you enjoy!

A is for the Alcubierre Drive.

This is what I'm basing the warp drive in my series on, combined with the Casimir effect. Of course, I mix magic in with the science to make up for the problems with each idea. :)

In the simplest terms, Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre proposed an equation working with Einstein's theory of relativity to create a bubble around a space ship. Energy would form a bubble that compresses the fabric of space time in front while expanding it in the back of the ship. The effect would push the ship through space and time from one location to another faster than the speed of light.

As with any idea, there are lots of problems with making this a reality. I'll let you see them in the videos below. They are around 10 minutes each, but fascinating. :)



I love this entire video, but if you just want to see the experiment with the plates and negative energy (Casimir effect) start at 7 minutes, 40 seconds.


Links to other information on the Alcubierre Drive.
Anderson Institute
The Daily Galaxy

Do you think we will ever travel faster than light?

Click on the link to visit other participants in the A to Z Challenge. I'm currently #725

13 comments:

  1. An intriguing premise, Charity. I'm sure I would get sick if we travelled faster than light. Have a great April!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The great thing is that you wouldn't feel anything. The theory of relativity states that you would feel like you were standing still while space moved around you. Pretty cool.

      However, I do have one of my characters turn off the view screen because he thinks watching the stars moving that fast would drive everyone crazy.

      Delete
  2. I researched this as well for my scifi :) I think it would be very cool if we could travel faster than lights. It would give us the opportunity to explore more of the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did break the sounds barrier, so who knows? If we're ever going to get anywhere in our galaxy, we'll have to go faster than light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I hope we figure something out. The idea of us spreading across the galaxy is one I could really get behind.

      Delete
  4. Hi, oh, I definitely think that someday in the future, probably not in our lifetime, though, we will be able to go faster than light. I don't know if I could handle it, though. My sisters could, and my daughter. Although, who knows?
    By the way, you are now @719.

    Come visit me @: http://marypurpari.blogspot.com/2016/04/the-z-of-melody-mcdonald-is-for-animals.html if you'd like. I love visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, fun! I love that you've combined magic to sci fi ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it was a good way to make up for the difficulties. Not enough energy to blast off the surface of a planet without destroying life? Pull the energy from a mage or wizard! ;)

      Delete
  6. I don't know. I go both ways with that. There are so many things we once thought impossible, but Einstein... It's an interesting problem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe some day in the future we'll travel faster than light, but I imagine all of us will be dead and won't get to enjoy it. The downside to being mortal, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Kind of sucks on that level, but I'd like to think someone will get to enjoy FTL travel.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...