Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Updates and an Author Interview with K Caffee

Sorry I've been M.I.A. again. I've been enjoying my wonderful new town in an effort to procrastinate unpacking the rest of my house. The kitchen is still in limbo while we wait for the last two cabinets to come in and for our other house to sell. Once those two things happen we can move ahead with ordering the island, countertops and remaining appliances. Oh, and the floor. Let's not forget the floor!

Here are some lovely pictures I took on a procrastination day. We bought a couple of kiyaks to putter around the lake in.



I've also added this lovely little badge to my sidebar...
For FADE INTO ME

Now, let's get down to business for the day. I've interviewed an Indie author I met on Facebook. I haven't read any of her books, but wanted to share her information with you.


Bio
K. Caffee is a full time graduate student who has bowed to the pressures of her muse to get the stories she likes to tell out into the big world. She has always enjoyed entertaining others with her flights of fancy, and now invites you to come along for the ride. When she is not writing, or studying, she is a willing servant to her two cats who sometimes provide inspiration for her stranger characters.


Title of Book
Book 3 of the Followers of Torments saga: Into the Sunlits

Blurb
Nameless has lost nearly everything when the Web Mother rewarded his work, and now must rebuild from the ashes of his victory. With only his trainer, he journeys to another realm in search for new potential Silks to honor the oaths he gave to Her.

Developing a stable of potential fighters around an unusual group of captives, teaches Nameless some of who and what he is outside his rank and goddess’ living avatar. His single-minded self-imposed quest leads him into trouble that pulls him away from his new captives, leaving their care in the unstable hands of his trainer. When the group is reunited, the resentment expressed by one of the captives drives him to the edge of sanity. There he is tempered and forged into a new force. But is he a force of balance, or a force of chaos?

Links:
Blog
Facebook
Twitter


What do you do when you are not writing?
When I’m not writing, I’m doing homework. Actually, let’s get that ratio right – when I’m not doing homework, I’m writing. I also try to find time to read, draw/work on art projects, blog, and let my cat’s know I haven’t abandoned them. Once I start on a writing binge, it can be a while before I “come up for air” again, during that time, I tend to chase everything else out of my consciousness.

When and why did you begin writing?
I call myself an accidental writer. I’ve always loved telling stories, and have occasionally tried to write a book growing up. But, the written format for my tale spinning kept getting derailed about half way through. This time, I had no idea what I was getting myself in for. The Followers of Torments saga started from an old role play group in answer to the simple question “But, where did he COME from?” about the main character. That was nine years ago.

I wrote the back story, about sixty pages of it, and thought it was done. How wrong I was. Last year, the story had waited long enough, and decided to take matters into its own hands. It gave me an ultimatum that I really did try to fight. I lost. And, I’m kind of glad I did. Even if that does mean I’m chronically short on sleep trying to juggle school work, writing, and all the rest.

What was the hardest part of writing your book?
Breaking the repetition “button”. I’m extremely detailed oriented, and so that tends to show up in my writing as well. When I do that, I’ll cover a concept from one angle, then go back and cover it from another, and another, and another. Each is just slightly different, yet it still is the same material. It’s taken me almost two books to realize when I’m doing it, but I still am not sure I’ve shattered that habit yet.

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?
I’ve learned so much from writing a publishable book. Partly about how to strengthen my writing, and partly about the underlying themes that drive the story forward. I haven’t reached the end of the road yet, either, for the self-education. There’s always more to learn and use in refining the knowledge I have gained along the way.
And the other thing that I’ve learned, which complements both of those points: To trust myself. Even when I have a professional critiquing my work, I still have to remember to evaluate their critiques and figure out if the suggestions will strengthen or weaken my story. Some I accept, some I don’t. But, if I hadn’t learned how to fully trust myself, I wouldn’t have the story I have now, or have come so far, so fast.

Do you have any advice for other writers?
Everyone says “write what you know”, and I’ll happily disagree with that. You can learn just about anything. I would strongly rephrase that to “write what you love.” If you do not enjoy what you are writing, and really have a passion about it, when you get into the hard work of editing, or the middle of your book (or series), you can really find yourself bogging down in the minute of the scene or action, and lose the story entirely. That’s when you start dealing with burnout for what you’re writing, and things become a chore, instead of fun.

What genre do you consider your book(s)?
Fantasy for certain. This particular series falls into dark fantasy because of the violence and the journey through the darker side of society and the minds of several characters.

Anyone want to come procrastinate at my house?

10 comments:

  1. I can procrastinate with the best of them!
    K, that's cool the idea for your book came from role playing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice interview and good read for Fantasy readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was a little confused by the blurb, but it could be because I haven't read the first two books in the series.

      Delete
  3. I love those pictures of your lake. I hope your house sells soon so that you can get the island and the floor in. Those are essential to that open concept bad assery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I'm finding out how NOT patient I really am. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Congrats on the award!!!

    Super beautiful pictures, and I'm wishing you much cheese to go with your patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll put that cheese on some super starchy mashed potatoes! ;)

      Delete
  5. I totally procrastinated yesterday and got no writing done. Now it's so hot outside that all I want to do is sit in the nice air conditioning and do nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love K's thought process: "Write what you love."

    PS: Best wishes on your house turning into an island-and-floor-filled home :)

    #LovelySunsets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview, Charity. I think I would be procrastinating a lot if those views were close by. Wonderful pics. Wishing you all the best in your new home and hope the sale of the old one goes quickly. All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...